1 addition of extra material or illustration or clarifying detail; "a few remarks added in amplification and defense"; "an elaboration of the idea followed" [syn: elaboration]
2 the amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input [syn: gain]
3 (electronics) the act of increasing voltage or power or current
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- the act, or result of amplifying, enlarging, extending or adding to
- the act, or result of independently increasing some quantity, especially voltage, power or current
- using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for isolating and exponentially amplifying a fragment or sequence of DNA
- A procedure used in the nomenclature of complex organic compounds in which the superatoms of a basic structure (a phane) are replaced by cyclic structures (amplificants)
result of amplifying
- Croatian: amplifikacija, pojačanje
- Croatian: amplifikacija
- Croatian: amplifikacija
Amplification may refer to:
- The operation of an amplifier, a natural or artificial device intended to make a signal stronger.
- Amplification (rhetoric), a figure of speech that adds importance to increase its rhetorical effect.
- Amplification (psychology) in which physical symptoms are affected by psychological state.
- Amplification (molecular biology), a mechanism leading to multiple copies of a chromosomal region within a chromosome arm.
- The DNA amplification technique of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in molecular biology, a laboratory method for creating multiple copies of small segments of DNA.
amplification in German: Amplifikation
amplification in French: Amplification
amplification in Dutch: Amplificatie
amplification in Polish: Amplifikacja
access, accession, accomplishment, accretion, accrual, accruement, accumulation, addition, adjunct, advance, advancement, aggrandizement, aggravation, ampliation, annoyance, appreciation, ascent, augmentation, ballooning, ballyhoo, big talk, bilingual text, bloating, blossoming, blowing up, boom, boost, broadening, buildup, burlesque, caricature, clavis, contentiousness, crescendo, crib, decipherment, decoding, deepening, deliberate aggravation, deployment, deterioration, development, developmental change, dilatation, dilation, dispersion, edema, elaboration, elevation, embittering, embitterment, enhancement, enlargement, evolution, evolutionary change, evolvement, evolving, exacerbation, exaggerating, exaggeration, exasperation, excess, exorbitance, expansion, expatiation, explication, extension, extravagance, extreme, faithful translation, fanning out, flare, flood, flowering, free translation, furtherance, gain, gloss, glossary, gradual change, grandiloquence, greatening, growth, gush, heightening, hike, hiking, huckstering, hyperbole, hyperbolism, increase, increment, inflation, inordinacy, intensification, interlinear, interlinear translation, irritation, jump, key, leap, loose translation, magnification, maturation, metaphrase, mounting, multiplication, natural development, natural growth, nonviolent change, overemphasis, overestimation, overkill, overstatement, paraphrase, pony, prodigality, productiveness, profuseness, progress, progression, proliferation, provocation, puffery, puffing up, raise, raising, restatement, rewording, ripening, rise, sensationalism, sharpening, snowballing, souring, splay, spread, spreading, stretching, superlative, surge, swelling, tall talk, touting, transcription, translation, transliteration, travesty, trot, tumescence, unfolding, up, upping, upsurge, upswing, uptrend, upturn, waxing, widening, working-out, worsening